We all want to funny. It's part of our never ending effort to be accepted. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only reason I have friends is because occasionally I can make others laugh.
Being funny is fun. Once in a while, you come up with a joke out of nowhere and suddenly you know you're the man. This doesn't happen too often for me though.
Laughing is also fun. Beginning around 8th grade, I became obsessed with stand up comedy and soon, I was ravenous for new stand up comics. They were so funny. I'm sure they would have had tons of friends at school. But unlike me, they're the man everyday in front of thousands of people. An ambition to be like them began to slowly grow but the question that ate at me was always, "What if they don't laugh?' Everybody has their own personal definition of what's funny and that's scary because you're never sure if what you think is funny is actually going to that funny. When the subject of 20% time came up in class, our teacher explained how it should be something we've always wanted to do but have always been scared to try. She stressed how failure was okay as long you could tell yourself, you had done the best you could do.
So here I am, trying to be funny and really, isn't that what we're all trying to be? We all go through life waiting for our next big joke that will be funny enough to be retold one day.
I haven't done much as far as learning how to do stand up. My teacher found a couple of improv books that I'm sure will help. I have about half of my act thought out. I have yet to write it down on paper but I have taken note of various jokes that might be worthy of my act. Parkview Coffeehouse is coming up soon and it will be best to keep this in mind and stop any further acts of procrastination.
No comments:
Post a Comment