Search This Blog

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Oh no! I forgot to post by Saturday and it's 1:04 AM now so technically that makes this blog post two days late and all this by a mere day and one hour.

In any case, I'd like to apologize to all of my fans for not performing last Tuesday at Parkview Coffeehouse. To begin with, I'd like to assume that the whole world revolves around me so please don't consider me arrogant for apologizing to my fans. Hopefully, I will have actual fans to apologize to soon but until then, a healthy imagination will have to do. But really, the whole world does revolve around me or at least, it seems to and that's not just a fat joke. I guess that's why I decided to not perform. I didn't want gravity to somehow experience technical difficulties and then have to witness my whole world crash and burn around me. A little dramatic? I pride myself on my flair for the dramatic. I thrive on it. Some call it flamboyantly gay but I just call it life.

Making jokes to ease the tension, another day in the life of Lil Biju. But seriously, I really do regret not being able to perform last Tuesday. I thought I had an entire act ready. So ready in fact that I attempted to perform it in front of friends on Monday only to get disappointing reviews. The thing is, I was only 3 minutes into my act before they thought my act was funnier than my jokes, and not in a good funny way but rather in a "you're funny looking" kind of way. The book that I read last week explained how self confidence in both oneself and one's jokes are the most important parts of stand up comedy and I'm sad to say that I lost confidence in my jokes that day. Thankfully, they're not in AP Lit (dummies) so I won't have to worry about them reading this blog post.

So what have I been doing after this tragic defeat? Have I been depressed to the point that my creative juices returned to the Caribbean? Unfortunately so. However, Friday was the pitch for our 20% time project, and I was rejuvenated and out of the ashes rose a brown phoenix ready to soar once more (yes boi swag). Not that I was soaring before but nevertheless, my wings were flapping and I was cruising on the currents of the Caribbean. This Saturday, I sat down and looked at my notes and wrote an act about my insecurities which I think is pretty decent but also too long but that may just be my insecurities talking. Hopefully, my friends will think it's good.

Looking back, this week hasn't been that great in terms of real progress but I think it was the most important week so far. I learned a lesson this week that will be valuable to remember throughout this journey, no matter how long it lasts. Failure is okay as long as the Caribbean currents remain strong. Furthermore, there is no need to worry if one does not feel such currents moving their wings for some time because eventually, it will come out of nowhere and boost us all heavenward.

P.S. My main man, Duane, who I only knew of until last Sunday agreed to by my mentor so ladies and gentleman, this flight is ready to lift off.

No comments:

Post a Comment