Rodney Dangerfield is one funny comedian! I don't know how many people know him because he's kind of back in the day but his entire act is comprised of simple one liners about how he gets no respect. Like there was this really good one about how he wouldn't have a sex life it weren't for pick-pocketers. Or that other joke about how he calls his dog "Egypt" because he leaves a pyramid in every room. Also that joke about how he worked at a pet store and people kept asking him how big he was going to get.
The jokes Rodney Dangerfield does is so inspirational. Not in the self esteem sense but rather in the comedic. I tried all week to write jokes like his. Simple one liners because his act is almost an hour long and it is nothing but one liners like the ones above. After this week, I have no idea how he does what he does! These one liners are so hard to write. Especially since he's from back in the day and he had no internet to search for ideas. I honestly googled a couple of well known phrases in English and attempted to switch it around to create a funny one liner. I wrote a total of 13 but out of the 13, the only one's I really like are about 4. Which is pretty sad honestly.
Remember how I couldn't perform at Coffeehouse because my jokes weren't funny enough? I think I may have found the solution. Some joke's that I think are really funny at the moment don't seem as funny a couple of days later. So if I write a joke and chuckle to myself, I should always check a couple of days later to make sure the joke still makes me chuckle and many times, it doesn't get that first laugh that it initially did which indicates that joke is not as good as it should be. There are some jokes, however, that still cracks me up and those are the ones that I intend on keeping.
One more thing I should add is an important aspect of writing jokes that I came upon. Especially one liners. It is very important to keep them as simple as possible. If it's too complicated, it becomes too hard to follow and eventually becomes as unfunny as unfunny can get. Also, big words really clip a joke's wings and that's a problem I really have because so far in school or wherever I have to write, the bigger the words, the better. But in comedy, at least, it is important to use small words. According to this source I read (I'm sorry I didn't save it), it is important for the comedian to come down to the level of the audience and identify with them in order to really inspire laughter. If, at any point, the comedian seems to be arrogant or judgemental, the laughter dies out. Some comedians do it like, Daniel Tosh and Ricky Gervais, but their humor is not the kind I wish to imitate.
Until next time, dueces ma homies
No comments:
Post a Comment